.jump-link{ display:none }

Saturday 20 January 2018

52 Ancestors : Week 2 - My Elegant Mother in My Favourite Photograph

A Favourite Photograph is the theme of this week's prompt from Amy Johnson Crow in her series  52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Where do I start?  The vintage photographs in my collection have  much  appeal. but I have featured these regularly on my blog, so I have opted for a not quite so old image which has great sentimental value to me for a number of reasons. 


 
 My elegant mother and I, c.1944.  

When I was born, my father was serving in Europe as a Code and Cipher Clerk, attached to the 12th US Army under General Bradley.  

After my parents' deaths, I discovered a series of letters they had exchanges in 1944-45.  Amongst them was a typed letter in which Dad asked "I hope you have managed to have Baby's photograph taken".

 


I am pretty sure that the photograph above was the result.   

Surprisingly  I was 27 years old when I first saw it, when my great aunt presented it to my husband, just before our marriage. For seem reason, a copy  never made it into the family photograph album. 

I have no memories of Mum other than with grey hair in a French pleat,  so it is especially lovely to see her  looking so elegant with her stylish 1940's look here.   

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

**************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.