Wallace, Waterloo, Walks and Woods
WILLIAM WALLACE was the Scottish Patriot during the Wars of Independence when he defeated an English army at the Battle of Stirling Bridge and became Guardian of Scotland until his defeat at the Battle of Falkirk in 1298. He was captured In 1305, handed over to Edward I of England who had him summarily hanged, drawn, and quartered for high treason
His statue near Dryburgh Abbey in the Scottish Borders, commissioned by the Earl of Buchan, was the first monument to be raised to Wallace in Scotland. In red sandstone and 21.5 feet high, it was placed on its pedestal in 1814.
Long Distance Walks across the region include:
- The Southern Upland Way - a 212 mile coast to coast route across southern Scotland.
- Border Abbeys Way - a 64 mile circular route linking the four 12th century Borders landmarks.
- St. Cuthbert's Way - 62 miles form Melrose to Holy Island following in the footsteps of the 7th century bishop.
- John Buchan Way - a 13 mil waymarked route through from Peebles to Broughton in the west of the region,named after the author whose family had strong links with the area.
- Berwickshire Coastal Path - a 15 mile trail that takes in stunning sea views, dramatic cliffs, small fishing villages and St. Abb's Nature Reserve.
- Sir Walter Scott Way - 92 miles from Moffat to Cockburnspath crosses lowland valleys, rollling hills and places steeped in history, alongside the River Tweed and its tributaries - a land that inspired that inspired this 19th century poet and novelist.
For the less energetic I recommend a WOODLAND WALK near my home in Earlston - through Cowdenknowes Wood, whatever the season.
EXplorer. EXcursions. EXpressions and EXhaustion!
A-Z Challenge Preview
A-Z Challenge A - Abbeys,Abbotsford and Armstrong's
A-Z Challenge B - Border Reivers, Border Ballads and Blackmail
A-Z Challenge F - Flodden, Fletcher and Flowers of the Forest
A-Z Challenge G - A Green & Pleasant Land and Galashiels
A-Z Challenge H - Hermitage Castle and Hawick
A-Z Challenge K - Kalaidoscope, Kelso and Kinmont Willie
A-Z Challenge L - The Fair Lilliard and Leaderfoot Viaduct
A-Z Challenge M - Muckle Mou'ed Meg and Melrose
A-Z Challenge N - Newark Castle and Nature
A-Z Challenge O - Oxford Connections - Sir James Murray & Mary Somerville
A-Z Challenge P - Pele Towers and Princely Connections
A-Z Challenge Q - Queen of Scots and Queen of Elfland
A-Z Challenge R - Rivers, Rugby and Rumbledethumps
A-Z Challenge S - Scott's, Sir Walter and 'Scott's View
A-Z Challenge T - Turnbull's and Thomas the Rhymer
A-Z Challenge U - US Presidential Connection, Unusual Sight & Unusual Facts
A-Z Challenge V -Valoour Votes and Vital Statistics